When we started working with IPNav in February of 2012 the company had a legacy website and was in the process of creating a new website.
Tek-Law was hired to provide all of the content for the new website. After the site was launched we handled all of the company’s corporate communications efforts (including blogs, white papers, press releases, social media, etc.) for two years (until April, 2014), at which time the company took the function in-house.
During that two-year period we took IPNav’s online presence from “one of the pack” to a very strong #2 behind industry leader Intellectual Ventures (IV), a billion-dollar+ company.
- Nearly doubled the number of monthly visitors to the website (now averaging >5,000 month)
- Took IPNav’s social media impact from nothing to top in the industry – stronger than IV (Klout score of 55 for IPNav versus 54 for IV)
- Improved Google PageRank from 4 to 5
- Improved Alexa Traffic Rank from 1,146,645 to 427,953 — only 90,000 behind IV (at start IPNav was over 500,000 behind IV)
- Increased Facebook “likes” from 371 to over 3,000
- Grew Twitter followers from 94 to over 1,200
We also created widely respected, first rate content. Note the company is no longer active; we have linked to archived pages.
- We wrote all the content for the company’s updated website, https://web.archive.org/web/20140117044727/http://www.ipnav.com/.
- We wrote all the content for and managed the design and creation of a new website for an affiliated company, IPCM Advisors.
- We wrote more than 150 blog posts and seven in-depth papers.
- IPNav’s blogwas followed by industry leaders and on Capitol Hill.
- Our paper “Best Practices in Patent Monetization” was top ranked by Google for term “patent monetization.”
- Our Op-ed pieces were accepted by leading online publications.
- The Daily Caller (nine million visitors/month) published Proceed with caution when reforming America’s patent system
- The Hill (widely read by members and staffers of Congress) published Fix the right patent problems
- We wrote, co-wrote, or ghost-wrote articles published by leading industry publications
- Intellectual Property Magazine: “The money makers: trends in patent monetization” (uncredited ghost writer)
- IAM Magazine: “Trends in inter partes review and covered business method reviews” (credited co-author with Greg Gonsalves and TC Beckett)
- Patent Lawyer Magazine Strategy Supplement: “Do nothing or make money?” (uncredited co-author)
- We prepared and submitted “Comments on Patent Assertion Entities” to the Department of Justice/Federal Trade Commission.
- We prepared PowerPoint presentations and papers for conferences, including ones for Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credit.
- We managed IPNav’s public relations, social media advertising, digital advertising, print advertising, and search engine optimization programs.
The work we did with IPNav shows that with the right strategy and investment a smaller company can develop an online presence that rivals that of an industry giant, greatly increasing our client’s visibility and the value of the brand.